Tuesday, January 24, 2006

learning how to train

0:36 run today; I get 3.5 miles for that. I really need to find out what my comfortable aerobic pace is, because I have a sneaking suspicion that even averaged out for hills and whatnot, it's a bit faster than 10 minutes a mile.

I was thinking about where I was last year about this time. Obviously I have a better base this year, but by far the greatest advantage I have over last year is that I've learned a lot about how to train. and I don't mean how to schedule workouts, or set up a season, or use HR zone, although some of those things might be true. what I mean is that I'm much better about holding back when I should rest even though I feel ready to go out and do a monster workout, better at not doing the monster workouts at bad times, and maybe even a little better about getting out the door to run or swim or ride when I really don't want to. Lots of improvement to be made, for sure, but I'd say I've come a long way.

1:00 spin, nice and easy, all small gear. my knees have been feeling a little stretched the last couple days and it felt good to get them warm. I think they're looking very forward to taking some weight off in the pool tomorrow.

and last, it's worth taking a look at Gordo's wrap-up post for Epic NZ. lotta good stuff in there, some of which I've thought about a good deal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home